We all get them. That pain in your head that just won’t go away and forces you to lose your focus and concentration. When a headache strikes, it can feel like an eternity before it disappears. I’ve found some of the methods below quite helpful whenever I get a headache! And remember, don’t stress out – if it’s a tension headache, you’ll just make it worse.
Try these 6 methods for quick headache relief:
- Take a warm shower or sit in a steam room – steam relieves sinus pain.
- Apply an ice pack for a maximum of 20 minutes at a time.
- Massage your temples with your fingertips.
- Place a cold, damp towel over your forehead while lying down.
- Take a walk – fresh air helps.
- Rest and take a nap.
As always preventing headaches is better than treating them! We’re often too quick to grab that bottle of painkillers. Here are some natural ways to avoid headaches:
- Avoid or eliminate stressful situations, as often as possible.
- Get regular exercise.
- Get plenty of rest and sleep, 7-8 hours a night.
- Eat regular meals – skipping meals can cause headaches.
- Avoid excess caffeine and alcohol.
- Prevent eyestrain – don’t work for long periods at the computer without taking breaks to rest your eyes.
- Wear sunglasses and avoid squinting in the sun.
Always try to use natural, non-medicine alternatives as often as possible, by doing this your teaching your body to heal and care for itself naturally. If you feel like you need to grab those pills, talk to your doctor or pharmacist to find the best one for you. There are a variety of headache medications to choose from. No matter what, if headaches get worse or become more frequent, see your doctor.
Have you tried any of these methods to reduce or prevent headaches? What methods do you find work well for you?