So after writing the title to this post I realized I can probably write for days on this subject.. but I am going to work on keeping it simple and to the point so you guys have take away some great tips for buying toxin-free beauty products. Of course, you can always start with using household ingredients and making your own! You’re usually guaranteed that way to make a toxin-free, all natural product! However, there are some of us who like to explore what the beauty world has to offer. Unfortunately it’s bombarded with claims of natural, healthy, organic and then there the supermodels and famous influencers who push the toxic stuff. How’s a girl to choose?! Follow these great tips below and hopefully you’ll be on your way to a better toxin-free beauty lifestyle!
- Utilize EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database. This is THE best resource to use when you want to find out how toxic or toxin-free your beauty product really is. The Environmental Working Group researches and puts together helpful information on over 180,000 products and hundreds of thousands of ingredients. If you think MAC and Dior and Lancôme are good, healthy products, check them out on the Skin Deep Database. In fact, empty your make-up bag and review all your items, you may be extremely surprised at the results.
- Download a trusted Cosmetic Database App. This will come in handy when your shopping and are not sure if the product claiming to be natural and organic really is. A great app is the Think Dirty app. It is a similar resource to the Skin Deep Cosmetic Database.
- Review the Dirty Dozen Ingredient List, and keep it in mind when your shopping for beauty products! There are 12 extremely toxic chemicals that you should absolutely avoid at all costs (unfortunately a lot of them are in the current products we see in stores). You can find the list here and review my previous post which details the ingredients to avoid in skincare.
- If you are unsure, email the company! This is such a great tip and really helpful. If they have nothing to hide they will be happy to share more information with you.
- Check out trusted Green Beauty Bloggers, we’re always reviewing the latest and greatest natural and green beauty products and provide unbiased opinions of them all. A few of my faves are Glamorganic Goddess, The Organic Bunny, Jen Goes Green, Let’s Talk About Green and Small Bits of Loveliness.
- Seek the advice of a Holistic Professional. This is such a great tip as they will be able to focus on you specifically, and your concerns, your skin type and what will work best for you! If you’re not sure where to start, perhaps as a friend or try doing some research online for Holistic Professionals in your area.
If you utilize these tips and suggestions you will find you can really clean up your beauty products and start living a more green healthy lifestyle!
Do you have any tips for purchasing green and natural beauty products?