I was literally standing in my kitchen thinking about lunch and wondering how I could make the remaining scraps of food left over in the fridge and pantry into a meal. This happens sometimes (uhm.. Kind of all the time) I do a bulk grocery run at the beginning of the week and by Thursday we’ve run dry and I’m scrounging around for ingredients to cook with! As if it’s so hard to go back to the grocery store to get what I need for the rest of the week.
But honestly, supermarkets and grocery stores and I – we’ve got a love/hate thing going on. I love getting my produce and groceries and I do really appreciate the great selection we have in Durham, however the stores are allllllllllways insanely busy! And people arnt overly friendly when they’re shopping for food! Carts shoved into your back, side and legs.. Cut eyes from the woman who’s mad you picked up the last bunch of lettuce.. It’s madness. Ok, so not totally that crazy but I don’t love overly crowded spaces (that’s my introvert personality)! Anyways!!
Now that you know my life story I wasn’t feeling for a trip to the supermarket so I honestly just started making pasta with the intention to glaze it with some garlic olive oil and I’d be done. But then I thought, I should probably give baby a few more nutrients! I had a can of coconut milk from my morning smoothie left and some frozen roasted squash in the freezer that I still didn’t know what to do with so I created a vegan cheezy sauce! It was so so simple and took under 10 ingredients (under 5 if you don’t count the pinch of salt & pepper)! It was so rich and creamy and really delicious! I absolutely love making recipes like this – I find they always turn out better the first time around when I’m not planning them or trying to create something. You know, the accidental kind. Yep. The best kinds of recipes! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did (and still do, currently making more batches as we speak).
- 1 Cup Cooked Butternut Squash (I used an organic frozen version)
- 1/2 Cup Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 3 Heaped Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Pinch of Sea Salt & Pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Add pasta and turn down to medium/low.
- Heat a skillet or small pot on medium/high and add your coconut milk and squash.
- Once bubbling turn temperature down to medium/low heat and add garlic and paprika.
- Once the squash is soft add your nutritional yeast and salt.
- Stir and remove from heat.
- Add to food processor or blender and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Once pasta is cooked, strain and place back in pot.
- Scoop out your sauce into the pasta pot and mix together.
- Pour your pasta into a bowl and enjoy!