You guys know how much I love my simple easy recipes. I don’t usually share anything too complicated or difficult on HBL because I want to encourage healthy eating in the easiest way possible. BUT. This Mocha, Almond & Chocolate Chunk Brownie recipe just got me. I mean 1. I can’t say no to brownies (or coffee!) and 2. they’re crazy healthy so.. I’m sharing them here with you guys today! The most exciting part?! They’re a delicious recipe from the YumUniverse Pantry to Plate Cookbook which is out May 16th.
I should share with you guys that I’ve joined the launch team for this crazy good Cookbook so I’ll be posting on my social channels quite a bit about it. Funny enough, I requested to be apart of this team! It’s not because I’m getting paid (which I’m not) or because they came to me or I got offered something in return (well, an advanced copy of the book) it’s simply just me wanting to share more health and wellness love with all of you! I’ve fallen in love with cookbooks and have quite the collection now and I just find there’s still something special about cooking a recipe out of a book with bound pages and paper and photographs at your finger tips. I love it.
YumUniverse is more than HBL approved. Heather, the writer and founder is just incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to plant based eating and living. Her first Cookbook taught me how to sprout! She’s a kind wonderful gal whose looking to spread the wellness vibes with everyone, much like we do here. So it was a no brainer to join the book launch team and now here we are. The benefit to you guys? You get a taste of the crazy good recipes in the YumUniverse Pantry to Plate Cookbook before it’s out! And I know your gonna love it and want to run out to the bookstore to get it when it comes out. So, here’s an option: preorder! You’ll get the book delivered to you on launch day and you can get a cute special gift from Heather too.
I only work with people and brands I know, love and trust and heather is an incredible inspiration. You guys are going to drooooool over this insane recipe. Let’s get to it huh?
- ¾ cup (110 g) raw, unsalted almonds
- Pinch plus ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (120 ml) unrefined coconut oil, gently warmed to liquid, plus more for greasing
- 1¼ cup (200 g) brown rice flour
- 1 cup (200 g) Sucanat
- ¾ cup (85 g) blanched almond flour
- ½ cup (25 g) cocoa/cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground psyllium husk
- 1½ cups (195 g) diced carrots, steamed and puréed
- ½ cup (120 ml) warm water
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Scatter the almonds in one layer on the sheet and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Roast for 7 minutes, remove, cool, chop, and set aside.
- Grease an 8- or 9-inch (20 to 23 cm) square baking dish with oil.
- In a large bowl, stir together the rice flour, Sucanat, almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, psyllium, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the carrot purée, oil, water, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Pour into the dry ingredients and mix together until thoroughly incorporated, then fold in the chocolate, coffee, and almonds.
- Spread in the baking dish and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the edges and center are dry.
- Cool entirely in the dish, slice, and enjoy.
- Store in the fridge for a few weeks, or freeze for a few months.
- Roasted Chicory root tea is a nice caffeine-free substitute for coffee in these brownies if you want to change it up.